Consensus supports Dignity Action Day
Dignity Action Day takes place on the 1st February. It is, however, not necessarily a day for the ‘grand gesture’ but more about taking the time to do something, however small, for people who too often feel isolated and of little value to society. It is also the start of what we hope will be a month of highlights showcasing what people do to promote dignity.
Dignity Action Day is a day to celebrate all that we as a nation and our communities have accomplished in delivering dignified care. It is also a day to celebrate with those people at the centre of your care.
It is hoped that Dignity Action Day will:
- Remind society that Dignity is everybody’s business
- Raise awareness of the importance of Dignity in Care
- Promote the services you provide and give someone in you care about an extra special day
- Be part of a national celebration and demonstrate solidarity for Dignity in Care
Where one person leads another will follow.
Dignity Action Day is supported by the National Dignity Council and the Dignity in Care campaign. Visit us at www.dignityincare.org.uk
You too can support and raise awareness by following ‘The Top Ten Dignity Do’s’ or become a dignity champion;
- Have a zero tolerance of all forms of abuse
- Support people with the same respect you would want for yourself or a member of your family
- Treat each person as an individual by offering a personalised service
- Enable people to maintain the maximum possible level of independence, choice and control
- Listen and support people to express their needs and wants
- Respect people’s right to privacy
- Ensure people feel able to complain without fear of retribution
- Engage with family members and carers as care partners
- Assist people to maintain confidence and a positive self esteem
- Act to alleviate people’s loneliness and isolation
For further information on the Dignity in Care Campaign, or to sign up to become a Dignity Champion see www.dignityincare.org.uk